Monday, August 07, 2006

Back in the Saddle



I know this shot doesn't look like I've gone back to work, but I have. We have "classes" during the month of August, so before I put my nose back on the grindstone, Ann and I headed out to the mountains on what we thought would be a 10 mile round-trip hike, only it turned out to be a 16 mile round-trip hike.

It was beautiful, though. Sore as we were the next few days, it was worth it schlepping up to Snoqualmie Lake in the Alpine Lakes area of the Cascades. In fact, when we got to the lake, we met a woman and her partner who were camping at the lake and fishing in the chilly waters for trout. They'd never been fishing before, but lo and behold, 5 minutes after we arrived, the one woman caught a nice rainbow (fitting, isn't it?) trout.



There's something about the mountains that feeds my soul (and this time, fed my soles).

Our next adventure was a little more reserved as we stayed at a cabin (which was really a house) on a lake in Kitsap County (my old stomping grounds) with our good friends, Jeanne and Lisa. We had a relaxing time eating, swimming, kayaking, cycling, eating, playing games, and reading. Oh, and eating. It was a perfect way to send me back to work, though it was hard this morning getting up knowing my time is no longer my own.

Still, I'll hold this image in my mind for as long as I can...well, at least until my students arrive! I call it, "Enjoying the fog, before the fog rolls in."



2 comments:

RJ March said...

what beautiful scenery! thanks for the visuals-- I needed some eye-candy like that!

Brown Shoes said...

beautiful.


bs