Monday, September 25, 2006

Chunk o' change

I just received my Social Security statement. Intriguing points.
1. I made $11,000 less in 2005 than I did in 2004.
2. In my first job ever, way back in 1976, I made $340
3. If I wait until I'm 70 to retire, I can earn $2,201 a month
4. BUT, if I have an accident right now, I can earn $1,666 a month (note the 666)
5. In 30 years of working (messenger, bike mechanic, TV crew, and teaching) the difference between the least I earned and the most I've earned is $63,000. Seems, at first blush, a hefty sum...but then I think, I wonder what Bill Gate's SS statement looks like or Oprah's?

The gap between rich and poor -- evident and all relative, I guess.

And I think to myself, do I need more money? Honestly, no, but there feels like an injustice somewhere along the way and I just can't put my finger on it...

Okay, I've got it...I was just listening to the news. The armed forces are asking for $120 billion to "update" the military effort on the "two fronts." A General who was interviewed said it was time that we decide if we're going to have a well-trained and well-equipped ground force for generations to come.

As a teacher I ask -- isn't it about time that we have a well-trained and well-equipped citizenry?

Oh what a well-placed billion could do...

My two favorite bumper stickers to date:

If nothing changes, nothing changes!

And

I want a president who talks gooder.

Let's go to war on a third front, then we shan't have to worry about educating anyone! Shoot first, and we'll ask questions...NEVER!

Somewhere in this rant is the injustice I can't seem to put my finger on...

3 comments:

artmommusings said...

I saw a one you might like:
"Frodo failed, Bush has the ring"

Clear Creek Girl said...

The injustice of the rich vs the poor, the injustice of the well vs the unwell, the injustice of the Everlasting Here vs the Incredible There, the injustice of the Guilty never feeling guilt, the injustice of the Disturbing rarely being disturbed, theinjustice of being a human being in this wild universe and Not Knowing Why or For How Long.....plus the Beauty of Knowing You.

Brown Shoes said...

so good to have a moment to sit and read what you've been feeling and thinking - thanks for the welcoming note on my blog - oh how I have missed being on here with you all!

bs