Sunday, December 03, 2006

Satsuma in the Snow



Today's adventure was not any warmer. 23 degrees, but we were in the snow, skiing, and enjoying every damn minute of it!

This is our first time skiing since February 19, 2004. I know the exact date only because our ski poles are tagged with our last ski passes. With Chester's illness last year, we never made it to the mountains so we've vowed this year to go as often as possible.

Today was a beautiful beginning.



This picture is a little dark, but it was mostly sunny and the snow was just right...not too fast, not too slow, especially for our first outing of the year.


By lunch time, though, we found a perfect sunny spot on top of the steepest hill and posed our best poses.

Ann says I'm very competitive and I agree, I am, but Ann is quite the tennis player and an even better skier, so when she fell on the hill just beyond my pose, I was sorry that I hadn't been present to witness it. Instead, I met up with her just as she was brushing off the snow from her soon-to-be-bruised left cheek. But I tried not to laugh too hard because there were still hills to ski down and I didn't want to curse myself.

Still, it was a perfect day, a perfect weekend in many regards. Perhaps my greatest joy, though, was basking in the sun, my ass freezing in the snow, eating cheese sandwiches and juicy satsumas!


No comments: