Sunday, July 15, 2007

Not As I'd Planned

I've been writing numerous emails to various dog training places asking if anyone trains trainers. Despite the fact that I find these email addresses on websites promoting the people as teachers of dog trainers, the responses to my queries have been few and of those responses, everyone has said they don't do that kind of work. Then they add names of others I might try, but even those people have resulted in dead ends.

How does one change her profession when she cannot get trained in the new profession of her choice?

The latest response has been yet another name of someone who is looking to hire dogwalkers and then from there, they may or may not train you as a dog trainer. Interesting. I suppose this is where the leap of faith comes in: Do I quit my job to earn $8 an hour as a dogwalker in "hopes" of becoming a trainer?

I don't leap easily.

Still, I have one more year of teaching (at least, that's the plan) and I'm hoping to save enough money to make the leap a bit less painful.

And I'm ready to beg. Not for change, but actually go to the dog training facilities and beg them to take me on as an apprentice.

Not as I'd planned, but I guess leaping requires flexible and creative thinking...something I haven't practiced for awhile.

Better limber up, eh?

3 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

I know a really graet dog trainer. She lives in - I think its Suquamish. Her name is Shade Whitefell. 306 297 6732. At least you could call her and find out what her philosophy is. She is very matter of fact, she loves dogs, she knows that its the owner who needs to be worked with the most.

RJ March said...

I'm rooting for you.

Brown Shoes said...

Are you looking for places like this? http://www.seattledogs.com/

or this?
http://animalbehaviorcollege.com/index.asp?

bs