Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A New Trick

We're out to dinner. Ann smiles at me and begins...

"Rubin has a new trick."

Me: He does?

Ann: Yep.

Me: Well, what is it?

Ann: You'll just have to wait and see it.

Me: Can't you just tell me? (Ann loves to hold back. She's the master of it. I tell her what I got her for Christmas the moment after I buy it. She makes me wait until the last minute...not a clue, not a hint, nothing.)

Ann: No, you really just have to see it.

Me: Will you show me when we get home?

Ann: Nope.

Me: That's not fair. How am I going to see it if you don't show it to me?

Ann: Oh, you'll know it when you see it.


This morning. I return from my walk with Rubin and head to the bathroom for a shower. I'm standing in front of the mirror plucking stiff black hairs from my chin when Rubin pushes the bathroom door open and walks in. He smiles.

Me: Hey buddy.

Rubin: Wag wag, smile smile.

Me: (Thinking to myself) I need to remind Ann to show me Rubin's new trick.

Rubin...without hesitation, jumps into the bath tub and looks straight at me: Treat?

I laugh and lean out the bathroom door to call downstairs where Ann is drinking her morning coffee and reading the paper.

Me: I just saw Rubin's new trick.

Ann: Told you he'd have to show you!

Rubin jumps out of the tub with as much ease as he jumped in and then, as he does every morning, he licks my legs hoping to taste the lotion I slather on after my shower.

Me: I haven't showered yet, buddy.

Rubin: Lick lick, wag, wag


These are the jewels during a crazy time. Work has started back up for me and everything feels out of sync. I have a big cold sore on my lip and I can't find the things I need. I try to make room to exercise, but then, as I get my bike ready to ride, my bicycle helmet falls apart and I can't find my bike shoes. I decide to go to the pool and swim, but I've lost my goggles and can only find Ann's suit, not my own.

Out of sorts.

And in the middle of it all the dog jumps, without coaching, into the tub and smiles at me with such simplicity all I can do is laugh and breathe and move on into the day hoping I find my rhythm.

2 comments:

photo_chiq said...

there is nothing in the world like having a dog. I hope if I come back for another life I come back as a dog!
As for the cold sore buy some Abreva it is a little expensive but it works wonders.
Here is to hoping your day turns around!

RJ March said...

I agree with you about a dog centering you when everything else is askew. I'm so glad and happy for you two, you THREE, that you all have one another.

I was thinking the other day that my life has turned around and what it took to snap me out of a nose-dive was a good man and a dog.

Good luck with your new school year.