Monday, February 02, 2009

Where's the Beef!

I have doubled my income from last month. This may seem astounding in an economy as bleak as this one, but when you consider that the doubling of $500 only totals $1000, perhaps then it makes sense.

I'm not complaining. I rarely complain these days (though I cut my thumb and it hurts like hell and whenever I use my right hand, I complain...thumbs actually DO come in handy...pun intended!), but even though I rarely complain, the money in all my accounts is a matter of diminishing returns. Not diminishing as fast as I thought they would when I padded my savings account before I left teaching, but still it's odd to watch the money float away without much effort.

And absolutely NO effort in terms of my retirement account. Wham! Thud! Kerplop! Like a watermelon off the Empire State Building. And I was worried about there being no social security when I got to retirement age. Hell, that might be the only thing left! My predicament is whether I should put anymore into the black hole of my investments or just hold onto it until we bounce out of this downturn.

Will we bounce out?

I suppose so, though sometimes I waver between the two ends of the spectrum: The "We came out of the Depression okay" side and the "Did they know Rome was falling BEFORE it fell?"

Okay, I'm still not complaining. I have a house, a car (paid for), a great partner and a funny dog and some money flowing into the bank. Oh, and I have a TV on which to watch THE CLOSER. Even Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon lost money...more money than I'll ever see in my life, mind you...when Mr. Madoff made-off with their investments.

I wonder if they're complaining?

1 comment:

Brown Shoes said...

Oh helloo NA - glad ro know you still drop by my ghost town of a blog. I read you too - but rarely comment either - dunno why, perhaps I have become lazy?
I have tried to make the font on my page smaller - what is odd is that it looks pretty small on my page...any suggestions???
glad to know you are contnuing to do well with your new job -
bs