Sunday, November 01, 2009

Gnawing

I like how Rubin deals with his frustrations. Take this photo where he's destroying a large stick with glee. I sometimes feel like I need a large stick on which to gnaw. Even the word "gnaw" sounds mighty appealing. It actually fits the action which it labels.

Currently, I'm still sort of gnawing on being "fired" by one of my dog walking clients. Everyone tells me not to worry. She'll pay me for last month's services and that will be that. But late at night (or early in the morning) I find myself still gnawing that stick. It doesn't matter what the gnaw is about, I just can't seem to let it go, which is funny because, in the middle of the day, when everything is rational and balanced, I'm actually glad to be rid of her. And her dog, too.

That dog was my most difficult walk and since I walked her every day, I started to dread the 1 o' clock hour. I liked her well enough, but the physical energy I had to exert to get that dog to focus on walking nicely was exhausting. A few weeks ago I got a massage from my favorite massage therapist. She started digging into my left shoulder when I flinched and gasped. "Sorry," she said, "But there's something deep here."

"The dog," I said only I named the dog and then I told her how hard I had to work to not be pulled down the street by this exuberant, out-of-control dog. Weird thing is, I really liked the dog. I mean, when she settled down and we got to walking, she was really quite fun and silly. But settling down and getting to walking sometimes took 50 minutes of the hour we were together. Sometimes, because I felt so sorry for her that she had to go back into her crate for another 5 hours after I dropped her off, I'd take her out for a longer time at no charge to the owner. That wore me out even more.

But today, when I was making a pear streussel and using the last of our tomatoes for a pasta sauce, I said to Ann, "I feel free knowing I don't have to walk that dog anymore."

Ann just kept correcting papers and so I added, "She really wore me out!"

"The dog or the owner?" Ann smiled without lifting her head up from the 2nd graders' spelling tests.

Good question.

So in those balanced moments like today, I'm glad my schedule has opened up more. I'm glad that my left side won't be pulled up and down hills, that I won't be jerked left to right or have to pick up large poos 5 or 6 times in one walk.

It's just at night when that I start gnawing on it all, replaying the whole thing in my mind again that I wish, like Rubin, I could just find a huge stick to destroy enthusiastically and then be done with it! Fall fast asleep in a little ball, my feet flinching with the memory of it all.

No comments: