Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Gods are Impressed

I came home early today to meet the microwave repairman who said he'd be here by 1:30. It's now 2. Not to be discouraged, I set to work at the computer desk when lo and behold, Ms. Xena, the warrior cat jumped up to greet me. She has done this often over the past few days, feeling somehow safer to get close to me if she can be at a slightly higher level. I understand this. A huge human like myself towering over a semi-defenseless furry being would be intimidating, to say the least.

Generally, I let her rub against me and I have learned, through blood and scratches, not to reach out and make the first move. But I do coax her, trying desperately to get her to climb up on my shoulder like she does with her moms. Actually, we (Ann and I) have been so desperate, we've wagered $20 to the person who is first graced with Xena, the warrior cat on their shoulder.

So today, I'm home and working and waiting when all of the sudden, Xena, the warrior cat takes this pose on the desk...


I decided to take her picture (that's my maroon sweater in the forefront) because I'm thinking she's being so cute and affectionate...I better take this picture just in case she decides to jump on my shoulder with NO ONE HERE TO WITNESS IT!

She's actually purring in the picture and drooling, too, which is something she only does with her moms.

And then, without much coaxing from me, though I certainly was saying her name and tapping on my left shoulder (because she LOVES the left shoulder only), she did this...



I look frantic and frankly, I was. NO ONE WAS HOME and I had to hold the cat gently, while trying to quietly and without too much jarring, reach the camera (which was thankfully on the desk), turn it on (it's Ann's camera and very different from my own so that took a moment), and then point the camera in the general direction of my shoulder and Xena, the warrior cat's face...everso close to my own!

And like most digital cameras, it took a moment for the camera to clear and prepare itself for the next picture, which was dangerously at the end of Xena, the warrior cat's patience...as you can see...



Notice, if you will, that her ears are slightly back and though blurry, you can still see her eyeballing my face.

She got down on the desk shortly thereafter, but I'm convinced it's because the skies opened up with thunderous roars and hail fell in sheets onto our roof, scaring even me.

"The god's are impressed," I said to Xena, and did a little dance in the office, the computer as my witness.

The microwave man is still not here...perhaps stuck in traffic due to the awful storm or lost in the 'hood or at Quizno's picking up a sub for lunch...who knows...but I refuse to be displeased. Xena, the warrior cat has graced my shoulder, the god's are showing their appreciation, and I am $20 richer!

1 comment:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Is this the cat that stomped the hole in the apple pie? I finished off that last piece of the apple pie for breakfast Friday morning. Is that your pie plate (as in left behind)?
Erin and Jessica left for home this morning. All is back to normal.
But that was one of the best Thanksgivings we've had in a good long while. I lay it off to the fact that I overcooked the turkey breast and got the meat properly dried out and toughened (nothing takes the festivities on a nose dive like inappropriately moist and tender white meat).