Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Bracelet

A friend gave me a purple rubber bracelet the other day. Like all the other colored bracelets, it's a fundraiser of some sort though I'm not sure of the particulars. I've bought a few of the bands in my past -- orange for a fight against hunger and poverty, pink against breast cancer, and blue for something I can't recall.

What attracted me to the purple band was that it was free (a gift from my friend) and that the purpose was to create a complaint free world. My friend had watched the Oprah show where the creator of the purple bands explained the idea:

Wear the bracelet on one wrist.

When you complain or spread rumors, move the bracelet to the other wrist.

The goal: Try to keep the bracelet on the same wrist for 3 weeks.

Additionally, you can tell someone else wearing the band that they are complaining and should therefore change the band to the other wrist, but then that means you must move your band as well.

I don't complain that much, right? I could do this...no problem.

In any other situation I most likely would not have taken the purple band from my friend, but she wasn't just offering one to me. She was offering one to each one of my students and when they all took one and then looked to me to do the same, I felt a bit obligated.

So now my left wrist dons a purple rubbery band.

But don't think it's been on my left wrist since I received it. I was "gifted" the band on a Friday and over the weekend, I had to move it just once. I can't remember why, but I heard myself complaining about something and decided I needed to move the band if I was really going to commit to its purpose.

Then I went to work on Monday. By Wednesday I couldn't keep track of how many times the band switched wrists. At one point on Wednesday, in the middle of a meeting, I decided that there was no need to move the band -- I'd just toss out the whole day as a wash and start my 3 weeks over again on Thursday. At the same time I realized that I am not a "meeter." Rather, I am a "teacher" and I'd be a much happier person (less of a complainer) if I could just "teach" instead of "meet."

Am I complaining again? Is an excuse a complaint?

That's the other dilemma I'm having. There are complaints that are blaring. I can smell them before they exit my mouth. Therefore, they're easier to swallow and the purple band stays on the wrist.

But there are other "complaints" that I'm not certain really qualify as complaints. In fact, they are hard to distinguish from "truths" or statements of fact. For instance, I heard myself saying, "That's crap!" under my breath in the middle of the meeting I didn't want to be at and frankly, the announcement made to the faculty WAS crap. When the words came out of my mouth, only the teacher next to me heard and she smiled, but I realized I needed to say something because what was being stated was not true. "I have to say," I began, "I don't agree with that statement at all." I then went on to explain my "version" of the truth.

Is that complaining? Should I just have let the moment pass as a different interpretation of events? Or was it the "that's crap!" that made the whole "feeling" a complaint?

And what do you do when someone makes your life more difficult? Case in point: Some super bigwig was scheduled to come to our school. We were "told" to "jump on it" so we did offering up a time and day that Mr. BigWig could meet our students and get a tour of the school. We're not in charge of tours nor do we really have the time to "plan" anything special outside our classroom (because yes, we're supposed to be teaching not kibbitzing with bigwigs).

But the day before Mr. BigWig is set to arrive, we realize NO ONE HAS PLANNED ANYTHING and we are left holding the bag. So we scramble. We set up chairs and projectors and prep the kids and create a dog and pony show to rival the best of them and all the while we're feeling FURIOUS because THIS IS NOT OUR JOB!

Should I bite my tongue on this? My teaching partner (who is also wearing a purple band) went to the "powers that be" to explain what went wrong in this particular situation and then offered up very concrete solutions for the next time it happens. Everyone listened willingly, but no one said, "sorry about the confusion...sorry about the extra burden...oops, we really dropped the ball and it all fell into your laps and we feel really bad about that..." Nope...not a word, just kudos for getting our school yet again in the newspaper and making our kids and our Head of School look amazing (which the kids are, but I'm not so certain anymore about the HOS).

We felt devalued. We felt used. We felt put out and exhausted. We felt left out when all the accolades went to everyone else who should of planned the event, but didn't.

We felt like complaining.

And we did. To each other, to anyone who would listen, and then finally, to those supposedly in charge who had asked us "jump on this" and then never supported the happening of it.

The purple band did not move a wrist...we just let the whole day be a wash.

It's hard, too, when others around you complain. It's so easy to just jump right in or if you don't, to just nod your head and let others release some steam. Still, the temptation to jump in and validate their feelings with your own complaints is overwhelming and often I found myself giving into the urge not only to support the co-complainer, but to receive some support myself.

Yesterday, as the kids were cleaning up the room at the end of the day, I noticed about 6 purple bands left on chairs and tables. "Hey, who do these belong to?" I asked. Some kids claimed them, others told me I could keep them, that they'd given up on the whole no-complaining idea and others gave them to fellow students who collect the colored bands on their wrists.

"This is like dieting," I told my teaching partner. "You feel really committed to it, work hard at it, pay attention to all the details, and then about 5 days into it, you give up...the temptation is too great to eat calories or, in this case, complain."

She laughed.

I don't want to be a complainer. I don't want to be someone who grouses the whole time about details and mishaps, but after attempting to be true to the purpse of the purple wristband, I wonder if maybe I am that person.

But then I wonder if complaining is okay in some forms. Isn't it better, for instance, to not hold it all in? Throughout the week, as I heard the complaining rise up in my head and then worked to not let it out, I found myself rephrasing things. "Maybe if I say it this way," I thought, "it would sound more like constructive criticism than a complaint?" But the lines are blurry there, too, and after awhile, when I heard myself complain once, I just decided to start the whole purple band thing again tomorrow.

I'm still wearing the purple band. I'm not certain why. I think I have hope that I can somehow do this, though I have reduced my goal from 3 weeks to just 2 days in a row, but even that seems like a monumental challenge.

Friends have always told me I'm too hard on myself. Part of me knows this is true. I spend a lot of energy trying to get it "right" and then, when I fall short, bashing myself for not trying hard enough or for giving up.

Maybe this whole purple band is a set up for failure. It's hard to know. It's certainly made me more aware in addition to a bit more frustrated with myself, but maybe, like my weight, I'll somehow learn to accept it -- accept that I don't need to complain all the time or at least, choose my complaints sparingly just as I choose fattening calories sparingly. The trick is, just like with the piece of pie or the buttery cookie, I have to just "do it" and then let it go. Holding onto the guilt of it all just takes too much out of me.

Hey, maybe that's the topic of a new colored band -- The No-Guilt Band!

1 comment:

RJ March said...

My week was similar and I do nothing but complain. My work-place is such a cluster-f right now that I am amazed that anything actually gets accomplished. I'd have to wear bracelets on both wrists.