Saturday, June 02, 2007

Swimming

Measuring my days by what's good has worked a helluva lot better than measuring them by what's awful. My students have been infected with lice. This isn't awful, though it's certainly not good as we're heading for a three-day camping retreat in the North Cascades. I keep receiving emails from parents informing me of their infestations.

And then I scratch my head.
And try NOT to scratch my itchy eyes. My allergies are better. The medication appears to be working. Though I still itch a bit, my eyes are no longer weepy and that is what seemed to be the trigger for all the inflammation and swelling.

Of course, now I'm equipped with an Epi-pen, an emergency dose of steroids, and a Costco-sized supply of Benadryl. This is important as I am heading into the mountains with 16 students and with god knows how many bugs in their heads.

But on the measuring good side, Rubin went to the lake yesterday. It's been hot here. Not unbearably, but 80 degrees in Seattle is stiffling when we're accustomed to 60 degrees and cloudy.
The boy will do anything for food. This was his fourth or fifth attempt. At first, he'd wade in, grab the food, and then back his way to the safety of the shore, but once he figured out he wasn't going to get swallowed up and that he actually floated, he was swimming in no time.

And then he looked like a drowned rat with a big fuzzy head.

It's good to have a dog in our lives again. Gives me needed perspective.

1 comment:

RJ March said...

There's beauty there. So good to hear that your lives are made richer by Rubin. I feel the same way about our Lucy.