Sunday, June 06, 2010

Age


Yesterday we sat in the sun at my parents' house surrounded by elders -- my parents, two friends with whom I grew up (surrogate Aunt and Uncle as it were) and a more recent friend. We represented age by the decades -- 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. We talked of the past, we talked of the future, we talked of now, and we talked of our ailments. Collectively, there was enough medication prescribed we could have started our own pharmacy, but we didn't dwell on the aches and pains. We didn't dwell on anything too long, which is precisely why I loved the day.

And the roses...
And the canine youth amongst us...
Instead, we ate German. Bratwurst, sauerkraut, potato salad, German beer, and German chocolate cake. I ate myself stuffed and devoured the time with my aging parents and our aging family friends. Happy Birthday, Papa (the occasion for the festivities). You have always surrounded yourself with interesting people and I am happy (as are Ann and Rubin) to be counted among them.

On the drive home, Ann and I got to talking about the 32 years difference in our ages. There was a time in my life when 32 years seemed like an impossible journey, an eternity of sorts, but time, of course, has changed all of that. 32 years seems as quick as lightning these days and when I look forward to those years, I wonder how to slow them down, how to force my heels to the ground and press the brakes a bit harder.
The other day I heard a story on the radio that one of the low points of happiness in one's life is at the age of 50. The highest points are childhood and old age. Apparently, I am in the dip though things feel pretty wonderful right now, which either means the statistics are wrong or my life is going to get measurably more wonderful.

I vote for the latter.
Sitting around that sunny table (and where has the sun gone today?), I started to look forward to the days ahead. All those "old" people knew how to relax, knew how to appreciate good food, good friends, and good memories. All those elders knew that these moments were what it's all about and so they sat in the moment and took a deep breath. This is what I am learning as I slip from age 51 to 52. Or perhaps it's not a slip at all, but a step forward, a march onward.
I'm glad I've had such role models. And I'm not just glad that the important adults in my life are all still alive, but that the important adults in my life are people I love spending time with. I get to laugh. I get to eat good food. I get to take in the wisdom and question the assumptions. I get to ask for another bratwurst and hint at the need for a larger slice of cake. And I get to do what a lot of my friends don't -- I get to spend time with my aging parents who are relatively healthy and just as quick-witted and sharp of mind as they were when they were my age now.
So Happy Birthday again, Dad and thanks to both of you for inviting us to your wonderful party. Now, let's see if we can find that sunshine again!

No comments: