Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's a great gig...

...except for the kids.

That's a teacher motto. It's not true, really, but the kids are what take away so much of my energy and the worries that keep me up at night aren't about lessons or assignments, but about kids.

Of course today is all about grading papers. Ann is at the kitchen table with a crate full of projects and assignments to grade. I just finished my grading and am now about to begin the part I love about teaching -- planning for the next lessons.

Kind of a Catch-22...I love to assign projects, but I hate to grade them.

Luckily, the weather is crappy and so, staying inside, next to the warm fireplace, ain't such a bad gig after all. I mean, what else could I be doing on this vacation?

Oh yeah...
skiing in the mountains
lying in the Mexican sun
writing
taking long walks in the wet woods
reading
trying to teach myself mandolin
visiting all the friends I've neglected
learning to knit...well, practicing knitting since I know how, but it all lumps and curls together
cooking something new
baking bread

Yada yada yada...

Back to planning. Back to watching Chester sleep. Back to the sounds of Kate Rusby on the stereo and Ann moaning as she works through her mountain of papers.

Back to the warm fire.

Back to a week without kids!

3 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Much as I thump around and wish for a vacation from 'kids', I find after two or three days, I really get to missing the routines that are a big chunk of Allie's life with Grampa Jim.

Triple Dog said...

Yes, if I were to not teach, I think I would not know what to do with myself...lie around and eat ice cream all day most likely.

Of course one Allie is a lot more fun than 22 of them! Nor do you have papers to grade.

Ummm...need a nanny for Allie?

Clear Creek Girl said...

Glad you liked my 'collage with Allie ... but I will still attempt to do one where he looks as grim as the ancestors ... just have to find the expression.