Thursday, July 20, 2006

My mother's shadow



It happens slowly, at first, like a leaf changing from green to the burn of yellow, the taste of autumn on an exposed memory. Out of the corner of my eye, my hands transformed years ago, veiny and slender. The shadow of my mother holding a stone white mixing bowl cradled in her grip like Atlas balancing the world. I've practiced for years, mastering the bowl in one hand, the spatula in the other
scraping the doughy corners of my life into one flat pan, a heated oven waiting to give rise. I've accepted this transformation, this trick of dark mirrors against
a skin of light.

But now, in the dust of summer's early sun, I look down, coffee pot in one hand, a dishtowel in the other, and I see the hint of her body once again in my own. My ankles, tapered and knobby, the blue slippers, supportive and masculine, the veins rivered and raised...legs strong and thin. Barbara Stanwyck in the kitchen.

My lover sees it too. We laugh, the morning news dark against the windowpane. We eat our breakfast on the porch and count the crows in the cherry tree. My hands fiddle with the corners of my toast and I tap my slender foot gently against the side of my shadow life.

3 comments:

RJ March said...

It sneaks up on you, doesn't it? I think that was what was so confronting about seeing my mother after so long-- that inevitable decline and what it mirrors.

Triple Dog said...

I don't see it as a decline. I'm getting older, yes, but it's just eerie to see my mother in parts of my body...it makes me look twice. My mom is 79 and super cool...if I can look (and dress) like she does at 79, I'm willing to do double takes of my legs (and hands).

I also have a friend who lost her partner to cancer when they were both very young (24 is when Jude died). My friend always says to me, every time I bemoan a birthday, "Isn't it great that you can be around to see 47?" It's weird, but I'm glad I'm alive!

Even though it's like hotter than hell in Seattle these past few days. Oy!

Brown Shoes said...

Dear na
thank you for this lovely reverie.
I've met your mother and I agree - you will indeed be lucky if you're that cool - at any age.

My mom has been gone for almost 19 years now, so I try to be grateful for whatever time I have left - wrinkly or no.
I am getting my mother's voice as I age - and it is really weird to open my mouth and hear her speak...