Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Works of Fire and Other Rainbows

I've never been one to celebrate the fourth. I don't like loud noises much and I don't like fire waved around on the end of small sticks of dynamite (also known as fire crackers).

But it's been fairly quiet at our house for a change. The first day of independence we spent in this house was four years ago when Ann and I first got together. We sat at her bedroom window and watched the biggest display of illegal fireworks I'd ever seen. Since then, we've made it a point to be out of the 'hood on the fourth, for Chester's sake.

Yes, Chester's sake...One year ago this evening, Chester had his first seizure. We were heading back from our marathon drive to Michigan, staying at our friends' cabin on the Wenatchee River. We were sleeping in the loft out in the "Taj-ma Shed" and Chester was in his bed below us. It's an awful memory, so I'm not going to fully recall it though tonight, the missing him is strong.



But the recent drug activity in our neighborhood, the drive by shooting two weeks ago have made the police a strong presence on our block. Sure, there are still fireworks, but this year they aren't right in front of our house, precariously aimed at our roof.

Every time we hear a BOOM or a fizzling crackle, we're thankful Chester is in a quieter place. He hated fireworks, more than I do. He'd crawl on top of us in bed or on the couch and shake, a worried look in his eyes, his heart racing like a kite on a windy day.

We've decided, though, that Chester is still here. We woke to rain this morning, a welcome relief from the hot, dusty days of late. Then the lightning and thunder started, magnetic spears across the sky. Chester hated thunder as much as he hated fireworks, but when the rainbow broke across the eastern sky, we knew he was sending us a message, that he'd gotten all of his doggy pals together (Sasha and the other Sasha and Shelby and Dakota and many more...) to whack their tails together as they romped across the sky.

Meanwhile, we caulked and sanded the windows and then spent the rest of the day priming the trim and windows. We finished the living room, which is no small feat and tomorrow, Ann will prime all the rest of the trim and the three remaining windows.



Here's Ann caulking a tight corner of the study (she's now a caulking expert) and here's me painting the primer on one of the four LARGE living room windows...



You can't see my face, but I am not in a good mood. I knew menopause was going to be interesting, but I guess I never put two and two together...no more blood, but I get EVERYTHING else...the moodiness, the cramps, the back ache, the bloated belly and sore and swollen breasts.

Frankly, I'd rather have the blood.

But Ann was patient with me today, and just let me stew in my own menopausal fluids (or lack thereof), and once I saw the rainbow reminding me of Chester, I was in a much better mood.

The living room is now all primed and ready for its first coat of trim paint.

Tomorrow I go back to my science class. Yesterday's class was a bit more interesting as we set things on fire, boiled leaves, and tested for starch.







It's hard to believe tomorrow will only be Wednesday, but I'm thankful summer is moving at a slow pace...so far.

The BOOM BOOM BOOMs and SNAPs and POPs and BANG BANG BANGs are all building to a frenzy. I miss Chester horribly, but I'm so glad he is not here to experience the warfare of the 'hood.

Tomorrow will be quieter. I'm thankful I took a quiet hour this afternoon for a nap. I doubt I'll be sleeping much tonight, though I'm certain, when I do nod off to sleep, my dreams will be filled with rainbows and other works of fire.

1 comment:

RJ March said...

I found our local fireworks a little meager this year. I remember prettier ones when I was younger.

Good old Chester-- loved the pics.