Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Routine Additions

I have developed a new routine in the mornings. There is still hot chocolate made by steaming milk with the espresso machine and half a bagel with peanut butter and a scan of the headlines on various websites. But once I've thumbed through all the predictable routines, I turn on the radio and listen to classical music -- baroque, to be exact.

I used to play this Pandora Station in my classroom before the kids arrived and then I'd leave it on quietly while my students settled in for the day. The music visibly calmed them. They never complained. They never told me to change the station or whined that they didn't like the music. Instead, they'd settle into their seats, pull out a book to read (the morning expectation), and wait for class to begin.

It works like that for me even now. After my predictable morning routine, I can settle into my day with the sounds of Telemann and Handel. This morning a solo for oboe quieted my busy mind.

There is much to do today, but I have most of the day to get it done. I am glad for that, though tomorrow is packed solid and I am not looking forward to it. But I shan't think about that now...as Scarlett would say.

Today there are four dogs to walk and though it is foggy now, the sun promises an appearance. I must interview a teacher for my job as a "writer" -- something I still put into parentheses because I am afraid to label myself in a permanent way. I have some errands to run including making double-sided business cards to represent the double sides of my life -- dog walker and "writer" all under the banner of my new business I've decided to call Let Me Out Consultation. I have yet to fill out the paperwork for the business license, but I shall put that on my list for next week. I must renew my teaching certificate, just in case, and then there are all the little things that require my attention at home -- filing papers, cleaning up the clutter, brushing out Rubin, and perhaps squeezing in a nap before preparing dinner.

Oh, and eating one of the mammoth apples our friend, Dely, brought back from Eastern Washington -- a Cameo about the size of a grapefruit. I can smell it even now. Yum.

I have my fingers crossed and will have them crossed for the next week. The elections are a lesson in letting go -- I do not have control though I want it desperately. I'm feeling hopeful, but there are quivers of doubt...no, not doubt, but worry...and I do my best to ignore them.

Jean-Baptiste Lully's music is helping.

No comments: