Thursday, October 09, 2008

Three Waffles, Four Dogs, and Little Old Me

Lucy and Rubin as puppies many months ago...

Last week, in a fit of panic, I made a decision: I shall be a dog walker.

Let me back up.

The hours at my new, minimum-wage job have been inconsistent. My investment portfolio, like everyone's, is diving. This December I will turn 50 and my financial planner tells me I still have 15-20 years before I can retire. While I no longer worry about all my responsibilities as a teacher having given up that profession (for now), I now worry about money.

I considered going back to teaching. I haven't ruled it out as an option, but while working and worrying one day last week, I thought about how much I really like spending time with dogs. Learning to be a trainer was not going to work -- it was not financially viable in the short term. So, I thought to myself, what if I started a dog walking business? I could work evening shifts and one day a on the weekend at the store, clearing my days for dog walking.

When I got home, I started looking into the particulars of starting a business. I mentioned my new endeavor to a previous co-worker who promptly sent me an email message from a woman in a nearby neighborhood who was looking for a dog walker. And before I knew it, I had two dogs on my list of new clients.

Two is about all I can handle at the moment. With my own dog to walk and my work schedule still undefined, I really needed to start slowly (though it can be argued that this idea leapt into action with more speed than I intended).

On top of this, I have agreed to walk my own neighbor's dog two times a week (this was before I came up with the business idea). So, while I'm walking two dogs for pay, I'm walking one for free. Oh, and I'm walking Rubin, my own dog on top of that though he loves to go with me on my other dog walking trips.

This morning is my first real day of being a dog walker. Lucy, a Boston Terrier mix is here this morning, her owner having dropped her off at 8 (something I agreed to, again, before the official business idea). Lucy, Rubin, and I went for a walk and played fetch at the tennis courts already this morning and in an hour, we'll head out to get Ollie, my other dog-client. Ollie, Rubin, Lucy and I will take another hour walk and as Rubin and I head home, we'll pick up Quillette, the neighbor's dog from up the street, for a shorter walk (she's much older). After Quillette goes home, I will get ready for my evening shift at the store, which will include some lunch and the preparation of a dinner.

This, I've decided requires waffles for breakfast. Waffles with flaxseed and homemade rhubarb/cherry jam. Oh, and butter. I figure I'm burning the calories with all this walking.

Ann is, of course, worried that I will over-extend myself and I suppose she has cause to worry, though so far, it's enjoyable. Okay, not ecstatically enjoyable as Rubin is now barking at Lucy since she has commandeered his toys. She's good at that. And Rubin is good at complaining.

And now they are playing tug-o-war with a toy that looks like a raccoon tail. And now, after I put the toys away, they are finally resting. This is good.

What a life I am making for myself.

(Does that last sentence need a question mark at the end?)

1 comment:

Clear Creek Girl said...

no, no question-mark need apply. Hello from Columbus day, whatever that is. I saw "Frozen River" over the weekend - with that fabulous red haired actress who used to be on tv on a police show. She's sensational and so is everybody else. So you are getting the same knowing that I get with my clients - no assumptions. You (I) can look at a person and sum him up in your mind, but you'll rarely be right. I have found that most people are brighter and kinder than they often look to be. Have a good day off - ooops - you're in retail now, you'll work today. Or should I have ended with a question mark. Love to Ann and you-self.
KM