Monday, May 29, 2006

Ram Das in the Outfield

First, we are home in our newly remodeled house and though we still haven't set things into place (oh my, what work ahead), I am able to "piggyback" off someone else's wireless system until I hook up with the cable company sometime this week. Sweet.

Second, the title of this post was inspired by student of mine who, all last week, wore a fleece shawl-thingy with a hood that reached almost to the floor. She walked around the classroom draped in pink and purple looking like a cheerful druid, arms crossed in front of her like a holy monk. We played kickball in the afternoon recess and she stood in the outfield almost prayerfully, arms only unfolding when she attempted to catch a ball. At one point, not paying attention at all to the game, she stretched out both arms, tilted her head to the sky, and looked, for all the world, like Ram Das basking in the glory of some god or gods. "Ram Das in the outfield," I thought, "What a great title for a short story or an essay." Unfortunately, I haven't had a moment's breath to write such a piece, but the title seemed to fit nicely for this post.

Lastly, I have 10 more days of school left and I am more than ready to say goodbye to the year and hello to vacation. Living out of our house for 7 months has aged me. Sitting in the small study we've set up in the sunny room off the kitchen makes the journey all worth it, but I'm extremely tired and ready to just focus on my life again and not my work.

Our BIG EVENT (school performance) was last week and all went without a hitch. Well, almost without a hitch. One late student -- Ram Das, though her real name is absolutely divine and one I can't share in such a public way, but let's just say it's something like Blueberry Certain -- and the computer technology hiccuped a few times, but other than that, the kids performed well, everyone LOVED it, and the stress of that evening and all the days that lead up to it are behind me. Sigh.

Next up, a trip to the Horse Whisperer -- a woman who uses horses to help people build leadership skills -- and then three-days on Whidbey Island for the girls last trip of the year. Finally, on the last day of school, we'll head to the beach one more time to play naturalists for 100 kindergarteners...holy jesus! Once the kids leave, I have a tooth to repair and a bundle of meetings, but then I'm free and clear until my classes start mid-June.

Yes, classes. While I'm excited about these, it's hard not to get resentful about having to take them. Luckily, this round I don't have to pay for as there is money from some fund or another, but the thought of sitting in a classroom during the dry days of summer does not excite me in the least. I think, though, that since the classes are all focused on biology, we'll be outside a lot and I look forward to that.

Meanwhile, there's a brand new kitchen beckoning to me and some wonderfully dark chocolate begging to be baked in the new oven in the form of cookies. Off to the store for butter, then back home -- my real home -- to putz and putter til the sun goes down!

Ram Das ain't got nothing on me this afternoon!

5 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

A wonderful title! Why do you have to take classes? A Continuing Education requirement to stay licensed?
Glad you're back as I've been missing your postings (and the entertaining window on your life).

Brown Shoes said...

congratulations on your homecoming.
pictures???


bs

RJ March said...

Your real home-- you must be so happy and relieved.

Clear Creek Girl said...

Congrats on your new environ. I adore "Ram Das in the Outfields>" Don't forget it. I am doing a writing class (gettogether) on June 27 or 28 - whichever is the Sat. 10-4. 60 bucks. You don't need it but it is always fun and good anyway. Tell a friend.
God dang, that's a nice title. Can't get it outa my mind.
Love,
Dr. Bookworm

Triple Dog said...

Yes, continuing ed courses...I am required by the state to get 15 credits every 5 years. This course will take care of 7 of those pesky credits.

I will have pictures soon...still working on it...and my internet connection is iffy...must call the cable company this week...

...on top of writing out report cards, teaching, and finding my underwear in this big house!

Miss all of you!