Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chagrin

Much to everyone's chagrin, I do not own a cell phone. I may be stupid in many ways, but I cannot tell you how much I loathe and despise them. It's like they rule everyone's life and they have become an acceptable excuse for being rude. How many people do you know, with whom you are carrying on a conversation, stop everything to answer their phone? No apologies, no turning it off and answering the message later, no, "do you mind if I get this?" Nope, they look at the phone and maybe, maybe say, "I'm sorry, I have to take this call from my brain surgeon," though more times than not, they take the call and stop all conversation.

Okay, I'm ranting. My rant comes from the fact that yesterday, as I crossed the street at a designated crosswalk complete with red lights and my own walk sign, I almost got run over by a woman who was looking at her cell phone while driving. I've seen this many times and have often yelled or worse while similar cell phone addicted drivers run red lights, but yesterday was beyond comprehension. I was halfway through the crosswalk! I had one dog walking on my right side, the other on my left. Luckily, they were close at my side and I had control of them because when I looked up (HALFWAY ACROSS) a minivan was moving on through the crosswalk with nary a drop in speed limit. I yelled, "Hey!" as loud as I could and the woman looked up from her cell phone as she passed me by and then waved.

Waved! Like "Oh hi, didn't see you!" Didn't see me? What about the red light you just blatantly ran? Or the two large dogs at my side. Or the fact that I had on a bright red shirt? Guess you can't see anything when you're LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR CELL PHONE!

Did she stop? Nope. Just a wave and she was off. The driver behind her stopped and from her car I could see her shaking her head. "I was almost killed here!" I wanted to shout. I wanted someone to notice the stupidity of it all, but instead, I made my way across the rest of the crosswalk to the park on the other side and burned my anger all the way home.

Okay, maybe this has nothing to do with my own refusal to get a cell phone, but I just don't want to become that kind of person - oblivious and over-multi-tasking. Friends call me on their cell phones, family members too, and if I can tell they are driving -- even if it's a hand held device -- I tell them to call me when they've stopped. God knows I don't want them hitting some dog walker in the middle of a cross walk.

Enough of my rant.

In my calm moments, I see the benefit of a cell phone especially as a professional dog walker. But the idea of it feels wrong. I mean, 15 years ago there were dog walkers without cell phones, right? They got along just fine, didn't they? Why is now any different?

My real dislike stems from the idea that we must be communicating or open to the possibility of communicating every second of every day. In other words, we keep ourselves busy -- dialing, texting, talking -- and why? Does it really make for better relationships? Does it really make us more connected? What I love about being a dog walker is that amazingly wonderful quiet time when it's just me and the dogs walking through whatever kind of weather happens to present itself that day. I can think about all sorts of things and not have to feel pressured to connect in ways that pull me into a million different directions. Even when I'm pulled into four different directions I feel ineffective. I can't imagine being pulled into any more.

I know cell phones serve a purpose. I know they aren't evil in and of themselves (though they are made from coltan mined in Africa by hungry teenagers and destroying jungle habitat), but they've somehow turned us into evil people. Okay, lady, you almost hit me. Couldn't you stop your van, get out and apologize? Couldn't you say, "Gosh, I'm so sorry. I was being stupid while talking on my cell phone. I'll never do that again!"

Or were you just too busy talking on the phone to give a #@% that you almost killed me?

No comments: