Friday, June 09, 2006

The best questions...

So, we're back. I'm exhausted, but home. Nothing like a field trip with 20 girls at an old army barracks.

Not many highlights, though I knew we were a "different" school when I looked at our chaperones...3 lesbian moms, a rich white dad, and our African American secretary (from school). Combined (with my teaching partner and me) we comprised a wonderful movie title..."4 lesbians, a white man, and a soul sista"...we could never figure out how to fit my teaching partner in (white woman who's married to a man)...

And then last night, before lights out, one of my favorites asks, "Can you tell me what these words mean?" So, I look in her book (teenage level) and it says "phone sex." Umm, I think, how do I explain this and the girl says, "Don't laugh at me, okay? And don't tell me you have to tell my mom...she knows I'm reading this book already."

Okay, so I put on my best teacher's face and I say, "Well, you know how women sell their bodies to men who want sex, right? (Though that's not very correct, but...) And she says, "Yeah, like prostitutes." "Yeah, well, it's the same thing only men pay women to talk to them on the phone in a sexual way while the man masturbates." And she says, "That's stupid. It sounds kind of boring." "Yes, well..." was my only response. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized, she's right, it is kind of boring in a way. Well, from a kid's perspective it is.

Then, in the morning, she calls me over and says, "What's ecstasy?" And I say, "With an 'x'?" "No." "Oh, well, did this word come after the phone sex?" "Yes." "Well, you know what an orgasm is right?" "Yeah." "Well, it's how people describe that feeling when they have an orgasm." And she looks at me with this big question mark on her face and says, "But does that mean it's a good feeling or a bad one?"

Oh...what fun.

I'm just glad I get to sleep in my own bed again. World War II barracks aren't good for middle-aged back!

Only 2 school days left...whew!

7 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

In Reference to Your Comment on My Blog:

No, it ain't easy to watch. But I am glad for your words.
I, myself, am an only child, with a crazy mother and a bewildered totally unhelpful father. But I had a fabulous grandmother and grandfather with whom I lived for my first three years. So there you go, you little darling wonderful home owner, you.

Triple Dog said...

I often marvel at how some of my most troubled kids come from some of the most balanced parents while some of my most balanced kids come from some of my most troubled parents.

You are in my thoughts!

Brown Shoes said...

Once again, when I compare my old school days to the current ones you describe, my olden days come out sorely lacking!

Glad you survived.
bs

RJ March said...

I can remember telling my fourth grade teacher some pretty alarming details about my parents. She must have been pretty amused.

I think you must be an awfully wonderful teacher. It takes so much, and you've clearly got it to give.

Mom said...

Wow! Smart girl to be asking those questions and smarter teacher to know how to answer them! Most parents would not do such a good job. And THEY don't want sex education in the public schools. Kids want to know and somebody older needs to tell them. I'm so glad you are there for these kids, troubled or not.

Mom said...

Yes, I'm old (regarding your comment at my blog). My advice? Let Fossil Guy take the pictures. He obviously had more time than any of us!!! By the way, did you hear Dan Stroberger died? Do you remember him? His obit said "he was raised in the Christian faith". Hah!

Triple Dog said...

Mom...the name is familiar...how would I know him?

And I wasn't saying YOU were old...but that Fossilguy was old! Well, older than me.

And thanks, everyone, for the kind comments about teaching. It's a struggle every day, but when I come up for air and look back, well, it's not a bad tour of duty.

Still...I'm counting down the hours, now!