Friday, June 16, 2006

The realities of moving in


The kitchen is beautiful. The master bathroom is wonderful. The master bedroom is spacious and light. The floors throughout the house are glorious. The 6 foot bathtub exactly what my 5'9" frame needs. All the new windows that give us light, light and more light are spectacular.

But then there are the realities of moving in.

Our old bedroom has become the "second" bedroom that we plan to use as a guest room...soon...like next weekend when friends from Port Townsend come over for the Gay Pride Parade and then in July when Ann's sister and kids come to visit and then in August when Jeanne and Lisa come to stay with us for awhile during their own remodeling vagabond days.

But this is what the room looks like now. It is a dumping ground for all that we are working on, all that we need to work on, and all the left over detritus of our lives that has yet to find a home.

I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm ready to shovel through it this weekend NOW THAT I'M OFFICIALLY ON VACATION! That and paint the master bedroom and perhaps the other accent wall in the kitchen. Then, in a week, I begin a 3-week course in Life Sciences for non-science teachers. It's free. It gives me 7 credits (which I need to keep my teaching certification). And it sounds interesting. I'm trying not to think about the fact that during my vacation I'll be in class learning about Cane Toads and participating in squid dissections. Though we do take numerous field trips, so I'm not trapped indoors the whole time.

Ann will be off at the end of next week and she's all excited about caulking windows and spackling nail holes and sanding and painting and dumping 8 yards of topsoil on the backyard. You go, girl, I say. I plan to do all the painting after class and help buy plants and dig the holes and go shopping for things we need like a dining room table (no need for one in our previous 6 x 6 foot kitchen) and bookshelves and window treatments and rugs and blah, blah, blah.

It's a good thing the course I'm taking is free since all of our money is now going elsewhere...well, back into the house.

We should watch that movie, The Money Pit, again. HA!

And then we'll get away when we can, to the mountains of course, perhaps the ocean, if we have time, or maybe just to the backyard if we get it planted before the end of summer and we have to go back to work. The advantage of public school (where Ann teaches) is that she doesn't have to head back into her classroom until the end of August. In my private school gig, I'm back at in August 7. Doesn't give me a lot of time to breathe and relax, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

But first...the sorting and throwing away and organizing of the room of our lives...flotsam and jetsam are us!

1 comment:

Brown Shoes said...

I have lived in my current house for over 12 years - the longerst I have ever lived anywhere in my entire life.
Just the thought of moving makes me feel nauseated.
I feel for you na.


bs