Saturday, June 24, 2006

House of Edibles

When I was in college, I collected the names of all the different places in town that started with "House of..." I don't know what happened to that list, but some of my favorites were "House of Hair" and the "House of Microwaves." I always pictured these houses filled with hair or radiating with waves so small that you had to wear special glasses to see them.

Now, as we continue on the finishing work of our house, we've created our own "House Of..." As we select colors to paint our accent walls, we've noticed a pattern.

First, we painted the kitchen accent wall CHAI. Then we selected the color for the bedroom accent wall, which is CAFE LATTE. Here I am painting said wall after Ann trimmed the 11 foot ceilings on our new ladder...



The other colors we've selected are TEMPURA, CUMIN, and we lovingly refer to the color our contractor sprayed every wall as MILKSHAKE or VANILLA. He, in fact, is referred to as Mr. Vanilla. So now our house is the HOUSE OF EDIBLES and despite the fact that we've chosen two other colors (Brownstone and Melodic), I feel compelled to keep choosing colors that have exotic edible names.



The last corners of CAFE LATTE...thank god for roller extensions! When did my hair get so gray?

4 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Good question! When did gray start its sneak attack. Gray is like the red part of a thermometer ... starts low and keeps on a risen'. My beard (which you lack) was an early warning system.
Gawd, I hate to paint rooms! Paint brushes are for applying the egg mixture to the lattice crusts on rhubarb pies ... and the buck(et) stops there.

Clear Creek Girl said...

Sounds and looks oh-so-yummy to me. We'd probably paint our house : Cheddar,Pate, Coffee and Water Cracker. Or; strawberry, melon, grape and mango. The olfactory senses must surely get involved as you walk, room to room.

P.S. Your hair started getting gray when you were still with public schools. Little by little. I, too, am allowing my own hair to seek its own color. I encourage it. Alas, there is nothing I know to nudge it along except for More Life. I gave a writers' workshop today at home and the women gathered around our refrigerator and oooed and ahhhed at some of the pictures magnetized to the fridge. Chester won a lot of good sounds. They loved his doggy face, the big blunt expressive face and head of his.

Triple Dog said...

BW - That Chester is on your fridge makes me cry. We miss him, but as of late, we REALLY miss him. It's hard to take walks around the neighborhood without following the little white hairs at the end of his tail. I'm glad he's being remembered on your fridge...he's being remembered all over the house here as well.

And yes, I know when the gray hairs started, but I never realize how many there are until 1) I get my hair cut and they cover the black cape I wear, 2) when I pass by a shop window and catch a glimpse or 3) when I see a picture of the back of my head and realize, "Oh wow, I'm really gray!"

I actually like the gray...I think each gray hair represents a student I once taught...and HUGE patches of gray are particularly difficult students I taught. I have a huge chunck of gray for Brittney and Amber...huge.

Did your workshop go well?

And Fossilguy, thanks for the pictures of PT...they take me down memory lane!

Brown Shoes said...

Don't think of you hair as grey,
but as...well, there are no
edibles that come to mind which
are silver,or grey.
Mold can be silvery-grey, and likewise salmon skin - but neither make me feel like saying "mmmm,
more please."

lovely room colors, na.

bs